wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
12/19/16 04:42 PM
Re: Camera guys

Hi Chris

Dabs pretty much summarized a lot of this up.

I am a DSLR guy and don't have a lot of experience with the 4/3's system-mirrorless camera systems.

but since you asked.....

I called one of the best local photographers I know that shoots the Olympus equivalent to your Panasonic(they can use each brand's lens). This gal has more published photos than you can shake a stick at and some of them were taken with the Olympus--
However, she shoots Nikon when she is 'serious' but loves the Olympus size and weight for using as a walk around/family get together--non commercial/non competition camera.

If the camera is too heavy or cumbersome -- you won't carry it and you will miss a photo that you wish you had something better than you smart phone.

The Panasonic is pretty light and has a smaller form and I'm sure your wife would find it a better fit for her

Might be a bit small for your ham hock hands but you can live with it with a little practice.

The Panasonic your missus picked is a good camera--shoots 4K video if you are into video.
4K is state of the art when it comes to video-- most of the DSLRs in that price range shoot 1080p

She suggested that if you are going to shoot 'action' you set the camera to the slower setting---seems the higher frame rate is a lot more touchy and might have shots that are not in focus in the burst

The slower burst has a much better in focus rate if you are shooting action per her experience

The alternative is to extract "stills" from the video

Bottom line is... it is a good consumer camera.

Because of the sensor size, you can take the lens in millimeters and 'double' it to get a 35mm equivalent

So if you got the 14-40 'kit' lens you have a 28-80 equivalent which gives you a semi-wide angle at 28mm(wide is 24 mm or less)and a good portrait lens at 80 mm--
a good family occasions type camera

Olympus has a 50-150 (100-300) which gets you to the minimum 'bird lens with the addition of a tele-extender to over 400mm.

Is it the set up I would have picked? Probably not but my picks would put a lot bigger dent in your bank account and 2nd guessing your lovely bride who probably got tired of you not buying a camera system might end up being more costly-- if not in sleep on the couch time for being a forking know it all and then asking a bunch of internet yahoos

Final thought
$1,000 camera is a lot cheaper than a divorce attorney and if it doesn't work out for you---
then you can look at a Canon 80D and a 70-200 or something else like a Canon 7DMII and 100-400 L II

Until then, smile--take the class and have fun with the set up she bought your family

just saying

Wu

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5